RN - OB Primary Nurse (PRN)
|Employment Type:||Per Diem|
|Description:||Labor and delivery experience required.|
Under the supervision of the department of nursing, this position as a licensed registered nurse, bears responsibility and accountability for the nursing care patients receive within the realms of standards of nursing practice, nurses code of ethics, and the Indiana Nurse Practice Act. Inherent in the practice is the nursing process; the assessment of the patient status, the plan of nursing actions, the implementation of that plan and the evaluation of the plan. The OB RN must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span with an emphasis on the neonate to adequately assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to provide the care described in nursing policies and procedures.
|Duties:||1. Observes basic infection control and standard precautions in providing patient care.|
2. Demonstrates knowledge of normal and abnormal labor, delivery, and post-partum process and appropriate interventions.
3. Reports abnormal findings to MD immediately.
4. Assists MD during delivery and cares for neonate immediately post-partum.
5. Provides care to baby in nursery according to policy and procedures of the hospital.
6. Observes policies to prevent infant abduction.
7. Provides educational needs of mother and family and documents in patient care record.
8. Observes visitor guidelines and rules for OB department.
9. Works extra shifts when essential for continuous, safe functioning of OB department.
10. Demonstrates good customer service skills with patients, families, visitors, staff and other departments.
11. Maintains a high level of patient and employee confidentiality.
12. Assists regular staff in caring for patients in other departments when there are no patients in the OB department.
13. Functions as unit secretary during hours when secretary is not scheduled.
14. Correctly performs and records control test for blood glucose tests prior to performing test on a patient.
15. Correctly assesses patients and records assessments and care provided in the EMR.
16. Supervises OB tech and LPN in caring for patients.
17. Screens mother and family as to need for and makes referrals to community resources.
18. Observes AWHON standards for practice in delivery of care.
19. Notifies house supervisor of problems and concerns as appropriate.
* Active IN state RN license
* Graduated from an accredited school of nursing
* Certification in neonate resuscitation.
* CPR certification.
* Experience in labor, delivery, newborn nursery and post-partum preferred.
* Fetal and maternal monitoring.
* Analytical and problem solving skills.
* Basic nursing skills needed to function in labor, delivery, newborn nursery and post-partum.